It is rare today to find residential garages solely used as vehicle storage spaces. Garages have become an extension of the home’s living space and are used to house pet sheds, laundry rooms, playrooms, or even DIY workshops.
However, winter comes as a dampener for conducting routine activities and projects in your garage space. The disruption from cold during winter can be easily corrected by equipping your garage with one of the best infrared heater models.
Infrared heaters warm up a room by delivering radiate heat. The heaters are excellent for your garage space as they do not keep dust airborne or even raise dust. Besides, they consume less energy compared to warm air systems.
Stick around to learn about some of the exemplary units I have reviewed in this guide with the attached buyers’ guide to help you make quick and sound purchase decisions.
Best Infrared Heater for Garage Reviews 2022
1. Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater. 1500-Watt -Best Overall
This exquisite infrared garage heater from the topper Dr. Infrared Heater is a real bargain. It is fitted with an electronic thermostat that places control in your hands. You can, therefore, quickly set a degree of your preference from the given thermostat range of 50 to 85 degrees
This unit has a tip-over protection feature, and an overheat protection mechanism for your safety. Interestingly, this unit is also suitable for large rooms, thanks to its Autosaving model bearing high and low features.
Enjoy a serene environment even with this model present as it operates rather quietly with the noise level reaching 39dB but still with high pressure. Besides, you will find the provided two heating systems (PTC and infrared quartz tube) and the 12-hour Auto shut-off timer quite convenient
- Supports IR Remote control.
- Utilizes 12.5 Amps of power, 1500 watts.
- Comes with a 72-inch long electric cord.
- Capable of heating a large room.
- Bears a 12-hour auto shut-off timer.
- Detachable filter for easier cleaning.
- It is fitted with caster wheels and a lifetime filter.
- It is backed by a three-year warranty cover.
- Heats objects rather than air.
Buy on Amazon
2.Dr. Infrared Heater Garage Shop 208/240V with 6-30R (DR-988A)
This electric garage heater is an incontrovertible bargain because of the phenomenal versatility it confers. Whether you intend to use it in a garage, workshop, construction site, or basement, it will perfectly warm all these spaces.
The model is fitted with a brilliantly designed heating element that executes heating with utmost convenience. Ferrying this unit from one site to another will be plain sailing due to its outstanding portable design and lightweight. These exemplary features make this model sturdy and quite reliable.
Also included in this unit is an inbuilt thermostat that allows you to adjust the warmth between the low and high settings (45 to 95 degrees). The cord is in-built for easier storage and neat space.
- Features a finger-proof intake and discharge grills for safety.
- Also exhibits a high-temperature heating limit.
- Inbuilt adjustable thermostat.
- Also, it features overheat protection for safety.
- Features dual heating systems.
- Fitted with a carry handle to allow portability.
- Fitted with a fan for consistent warmth provision.
- Comes with a 6-feet powerful 3-prong power cord.
- It is not rated for household or general residential use. However, with the right setup, it is applicable.
Buy on Amazon
3.KEY TEK Wall-Mounted Electric Infrared Heater
The multiplicity of exquisite features possessed by this unit is absolutely remarkable. To begin with, it is accompanied by all the necessary hardware that will make the wall-mounting process very easy for you. Additionally, after mounting it, you are free to adjust the angle within scope of 0 to 90 degrees.
The efficacy with which this unit effectuates heating is high, meaning that the advanced infrared technology ensures a fast heating speed. It can be depended on for both indoor and outdoor heating as it utilizes a high power of 1500W.
This model is easy to manipulate as all you need to do is use the switch on its right side to choose any of the three heat settings provided. To spice up its user-friendliness, you can alternatively use the smart remote control feature for added convenience.
- Bears a 3 level heat setting.
- Has a waterproof quality.
- Crafted with aluminum alloy housing.
- Bears a disinfectant effect with golden tube and UV radiation.
- Easy to install or relocate.
- The mounting angle is adjustable.
- The bargain is void of warranty details
Buy on Amazon
4.Briza Infrared Patio Heater-Electric Patio Heater
This electric heater from the top-ranking Briza brand is one that highly embraces versatility. It is applicable in multiple places, including garages, patio, and outdoor event spaces.
By utilizing Carbon Infrared Technology, the heat produced is comparable to that of the sun. The incorporated heating elements are covered by a protective metal sheath for safety purposes. As a boon, an adjustable tripod stand is included in this deal.
In the event that this unit is tipped over, fire hazards possibilities are countered via the inbuilt sensor that automatically forces this unit into shutting off. Here are more pleasant tidings. You can mount this model either on the ceiling or on the wall using the included mounting hardware.
- Resistant to the harshest outdoor conditions.
- 7-feet tripod stand with adjustable legs included.
- In-built timer (1-9 hours).
- Protective metal sheath around the heating elements.
- Supports two installation options.
- Up to 93% heat efficiency encouraging saving of energy.
- Contra-indicated for usage in a room with a gas unit.
Buy on Amazon
5.Dyna-Glo Natural Gas Overhead Infrared Garage Heater
The most noteworthy feature of this infrared garage heater is its power source. In contrast to the aforementioned heaters, this model is fueled by gas power, meaning that no electricity is required and you can use it even when there is a power outage.
It is capable of heating up a room of up to 550 sq ft as its heat rating scales up to 22,000 BTU’s. Additionally, it is incorporated with Infrared Burner Technology of high intensity, making it one of the most reliable ways of warming a small space.
Once it starts running, you will instantly feel the warmth. This warmth continues while you work as the rest of your shed’s temperature comes up to par. This model is suitable for ceiling mounting and comes inclusive of a multi-position ceiling mount. It is also fitted with a thermostat that you can use to adjust the heat.
- It is fueled by natural gas.
- Capable of heating up to 550 sq ft.
- It is integrated with an adjustable thermostat.
- Suitable for ceiling mounting.
- Accompanied by a multi-position ceiling mount.
- Instantly delivers heat upon being turned on.
- This model cannot be hooked up to an on/off switch.
- Not so suitable for outdoor use. It is excellent for small spaces.
Buy on Amazon
6. Dr. Heater Greenhouse Garage Workshop Infrared Heater
The estimable Dr. Infrared Heater once again presents you with yet another top-of-the-line electric heater. Its design makes it one of the most convenient units in terms of the low levels of maintenance required.
To add icing to the cake, it is lightweight with a mass of 13 pounds, thus augmenting its portability. Additionally, it is permanently lubricated for life. The incorporated sturdy ball-bearing motor that is thermally protected and totally enclosed ensures a long-lasting performance is delivered.
Do you need a specific climate for your plants? This deal is the means to creating the best climate for your plants. This is because it is fitted with adjustable thermostat control. Overheat protection feature is included for safety purposes.
- Utilizes fan-forced air technology.
- Excellent for greenhouse use.
- Crafted with heavy-duty steel housing.
- IP*4 structure that is shielded from water splashing.
- Backed by a one-year warranty cover.
- Bears a precision temperature sensor.
- Uses 1500W of power.
- Maintains your tender plants in warmth, enabling them to thrive.
- Capable of warming a smaller space (150 sq ft).
- Comes with only one setting.
Buy on Amazon
7. KUTON Electric Patio Heater, IP65 Waterproof Heater
This top-shelf electric heater brags of manifold features that make it tower over other electric heaters. To start with, it is greatly suitable for outdoor use. This is because it is crafted with premium and weatherproof aluminum bearing carbon fiber tubes extending its lifespan up to 10000 hours.
This housing also empowers it to withstand any adverse weather. The remote control feature also makes it more suitable for outdoor use as you get to adjust the heat and timer setting at your convenience.
By utilizing electricity as its power source, it is a safer option as compared to gas. You will not only bag an electric heater but a sleek one in this. For your convenience, it is customized with three power settings, scaling up to 5118 BTU.
- Allows adjustment from 900W to 1500W.
- Operates silently while delivering a strong heat efficiency.
- Has an upgrade package design.
- Inclusive of overheat protection feature.
- Allows wall/ceiling mounting.
- Accompanied by a couple of screws and four stable mounting brackets.
- Allows angle adjustment after installation.
- It is backed by a one-year warranty cover.
- Extending the cable privately would potentiate safety hazards. Do not extend it privately.
Buy on Amazon
8. Heat Storm Sahara Portable Infrared Space Heater (HS-1500-ISA)
The most outstanding feature of this exceptional bargain is the convenience it delivers from the comfort of your phone. This model is engineered with WiFi technology that allows you to manipulate and control your heater by using your phone. Fascinating, right?
Do you need to move this heater from one room to another in your home? That will be easy for you as the ultra lightweight (10 lbs) feature makes it efficiently portable or wall mountable.
The model is also customized with a patented HMS dual-wall technology that makes this model greatly energy-efficient, enabling it to warm up your room quickly.
It is crafted with a sleek design that makes it compatible with the décor in your house. It utilizes 1500W that can also be reduced to 750W for energy efficiency. It is fitted with a thermostat linked to an LED display that exhibits the current ambient temperature.
- Features remote control for easier manipulation.
- Comes in a small convenient size.
- Capable of warming up to 1000 sq ft.
- Has a 5200 BTU heat output.
- Does not compromise the room’s humidity or oxygen.
- In-built thermostat for heat regulation.
- ETL safety certified.
- Sleek design for compatibility with home décor.
- Warranty details are not clear.
Buy on Amazon
9. ProCom Heating Natural Gas Ventless Infrared Plaque Heater (MN3PHG)
Do you need to warm an incredibly large space? This bargain will certainly have you covered. Coming in first is the notable heat output that scales up to a whopping 30000 BTU. This phenomenal output is achieved because this unit is fueled by natural gas rather than electricity, granting it the capacity to warm up to 1450 sq ft.
The provided heat settings are quite reliable. It manually allows you to adjust between high/medium/low/off heat settings for an ideal room temperature. You will not require a chimney or an outside duct despite it being powered by gas.
All you need is a vent-free gas burner which means 99.9% economic efficiency, optimal energy conservation, and maximal environmental protection. It is fitted with an inbuilt Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) that instantly shuts down this model if insufficiency of oxygen or presence of carbon monoxide is detected.
- Backed up by a one-year warranty cover.
- Push-button Piezo ignition.
- Manual control of the heat settings.
- Can warm up to 1450 sq ft.
- Accompanied by a wall mounting bracket.
- Automatic shut-off feature for safety purposes.
- Fueled by gas, making it ideal for installation and power outages.
- The stand for this model is sold separately.
Buy on Amazon
10. AirNmore Comfort Deluxe with Copper PTC, Infrared Space Heater
This electric heater is ideal for homes or spaces with kids or pets as it is designed with systems that promote the safety of your children. One of these systems is the mechanism put in place to ensure that this model does not get hot on the outside and, therefore, will not cause injuries if touched by kids.
In an effort to warrant the safety of your kids is heightened, it is also integrated with a tip-over sensor and dual high limit sensors. It also utilizes a 3-prong grounded power cable of the appropriate gauge wire for a 1500W heater.
For a positive change, this unit does not use bulbs but rather utilizes copper PTC heating element technology for elevated heating efficiency. This also helps save on maintenance costs incurred in replacing bulbs.
- Provides two heating options (high 1500W or low 1000W).
- Features Auto-reboot memory.
- Backed up by a warranty cover of two years.
- Crafted with heavy-duty components for durability.
- Ideal for large rooms.
- It is fitted with a dependable particle filter.
- Supports remote control.
- None to mention.
Buy on Amazon
11. Dr. Heater Dr. Infrared 240V Heavy-Duty Hardwired Garage Heater
The acclaimed Dr. Infrared Heater brand definitely had the flexibility of this unit in mind. Corroborating this first is the cart design with a firm protruding handle that makes the movement of this model from one place to another quite easy.
It is not only brilliantly fitted with five louvers but also allows adjustment of these louvers. This is quite user-oriented since you can focus the airflow to the desired spot. You can be certain that this unit will sufficiently warm up your space courtesy of the heavy-duty 240V single phase, making its power scale 10000W.
An adjustable thermostat is ingeniously integrated into this model to help you regulate the temperature within a range of 50 to 90 degrees. It employs forced air as the principal heating method.
- It is UL/CUL listed.
- Possesses a cart for ease of mobility.
- Comes with a ceiling/wall-mounted version.
- A one-year warranty on parts and labor backs this deal.
- Utilizes spiral sheath heating elements with low sheath temperatures.
- Delivers uniform warmth and long-lasting product life.
- It is engineered with a big matched dynamic fan for optimal airflow.
- Relatively heavier (48 pounds).
Buy on Amazon
12. Hanging Patio Heater, Electric Hanging Heater
Findabetter brand presents you with one of the most elegant electric heaters there has ever been. This is because it is a lamp-looking heater installed on the ceiling and assumes a hanging position. On the upside, it also provides more than 5000 hours of long lamp service
It is equipped with an adjustable hanging chain that makes it easy to change location, height, or tote around. It also boasts of both dustproof and waterproof features for its safety and suitability in humid or rainy conditions.
If it gets dirty, it is recommendable to wipe it with a rag and to never keep it covered. You have the liberty of opting between the three provided power modes (600W, 900W, and 1500W). It also directly confers warmth to the body with the form of radiation.
- Achieves heating in seconds, promoting the saving of energy.
- Uses radiation as the primary heating method.
- Conveys three adjustable heat modes.
- Has waterproof and dustproof properties.
- Safe for use as it does not produce hazardous substances nor make noises.
- Accompanied by an adjustable hanging chain.
- Delivers more than 5000 hours of long lamp service.
- Inclusive of a user manual.
- Covering this model with any material is contra-indicated.
Buy on Amazon
Best Infrared Heater for Garage Buyers’ Guide 2022
Is the chill during winter almost getting intolerable? Trying to execute a task in your garage with your hands almost numb is detestable, right? However, you no longer have to loathe over the upcoming wintertime anymore.
Arming your space with any of the best infrared heaters for garage models will undoubtedly deliver a positive turnabout. These infrared heaters will dependably warm your room, creating a comfortable environment for you despite the existing adverse climatic conditions.
An infrared heater is a reliable ally that will gratifyingly help you see through winter comfortably. However, there are a lot of brands that manufacture this type of heater in the market, all claiming to be toppers. How, then, do you determine the best infrared heater for your garage that will be ideal for your space? Therefore, you must have criteria to meticulously scrutinize the copious infrared heaters and determine which is best for you.
On that account, I have provided a guide to help you learn about the benefits and possible challenges you will face operating the infrared heaters and factors you must be sensitive about while making a purchase decision.
Benefits of Infrared Heaters
Unlike traditional heating methods, an infrared heater will save much energy regardless of the type or model you have chosen. You also benefit from enhanced operational efficiency with these units.
Below is a list of some of the crucial benefits you are deemed to enjoy while using the best Infrared heaters in your garage.
An infrared heater will save you much energy compared to the traditional heating methods, independent of the model you have chosen.
Notably, infrared heaters are characterized by the radiant heat transfer feature that permits the thermostat to be set at 5–10°F. This value is much lower than that of the hot air systems, providing you with comfortable temperatures at the ground level while also saving you energy costs.
For instance, choosing the best infrared heater for your garage can save up to 50% of your energy costs. If you have, for example, acquired an infrared unit integrated with a two-stage technology, your energy costs can be reduced to 10-12%. The customers who come to visit your workspace also benefit from enhanced comfort due to favorable garage temperatures.
Heating accounts for almost 40% of carbon dioxide emissions to the atmosphere worldwide. The release of carbon and other greenhouse gases threatens the ecosystem and climate change. Thus, heating results in more energy consumption and is environmentally unfriendly.
As a home or garage owner, using an infrared heater can help reduce the amount of greenhouse gases released to the atmosphere, primarily if you reside in areas where people are anxious about climate change.
The infrared heaters are integrated with high-efficiency panels, with some of the panels having a rating of 100%. The high-efficiency panels significantly reduce the emissions to the atmosphere and conserve more heat, unlike other traditional heating systems such as boilers.
The infrared heaters heat the objects directly and not the air, hence use less energy in heating. The result is that the heater’s warmth is conserved, not lost through draught, which explains their high energy efficiency.
You can easily set up your infrared heating panels within hours. You will not need to hire a professional for the installation. Instead, you can follow the instruction manual that comes with the unit to set it all up.
Traditionally, installing heating equipment such as boilers involved laying down pipes or executing pipework. However, you do not need pipework with the best infrared heater units. Instead, you only mount the ceiling or walls and connect the unit to an electric circuit.
Saves on Space
The infrared heaters are compact, coming in different shapes and sizes. You can choose whether you want a rectangular, small square, or if you want to go for a narrow and wide horizontal panel, as you have a bunch of options to choose from. This makes it possible to choose a perfect design and size that will fit your garage space.
Also, if you are not good at organizing your garage space or living room, you will benefit from the versatility of the panels in terms of where you can put them. You can mount the infrared panels anywhere in the ceiling or walls or even prop them up on the floor. This gives them an advantage over the radiators that can only be placed low on an interior wall.
Your concerns about the risks associated with wear and tear are eliminated because the best infrared heater units have no moving parts in their systems. Traditional heating systems like heat pumps or boilers were integrated with air filters that needed continuous replacement. However, with infrared heaters, you are saved from this hassle as a maintenance practice.
Besides, heat pumps and other related traditional systems would require constant lubrication to enhance their efficiency in operation, a practice that is not a characteristic feature of infrared elements.
The only maintenance practice you would be subjected to while operating the best infrared heater for the garage is cleaning the reflectors. Unlike heat pumps and boilers, the panels do not require regular servicing.
Cons of Infrared Heaters
Run on electricity that can be expensive
The infrared heaters run on electricity, which is pricier than the other fuel forms. Even though the panels are efficient and save you from huge energy bills, electricity is always relatively expensive.
What to Consider When Choosing Best Infrared Heaters for Garage
Despite all the featured products being infrared heaters, the source from which some units derive power varies from others. This variation is mainly in two types;
- Electric powered heaters– this type is fueled by electric power and therefore has to be connected to a power outlet via a cord. You should regard the wattage rating indicated for a specific heater with many commonly ranging at 1500W.
The advantage of these types is that not only do they deliver adequate heat, but they also require minimal maintenance. On the downside, power outages halt the functioning of these units.
- Gas-powered heater – This type works by burning propane or natural gas. They are capable of warming large spaces such as 1450 sq ft and are not affected by power outages. On the downside, they are not as safe as the electric type and can cause moisture in the air, which can be a setback, especially for car bodywork projects.
Distinguishing between the two power sources will be a crucial factor in determining which infrared heater will be perfect for you.
Heaters are installed in spaces or rooms that people, pets, or kids occupy. For this reason, you check for features that promote the safety of the inhabitants and that of the room itself. These features include;
- Tip-over protection – Unexpected instances of pets or kids that are running around bumping into an infrared heater can occur. This feature triggers the unit into shutting off automatically, thus eliminating safety hazards like fire.
- Safe to touch – this feature ensures that even when the heater is operating and delivering heat, its body does not get hot. This makes it safer for anyone, especially kids, to touch.
- Auto shut-off timer – this feature allows you to set the heater to run for a certain period like 12 hours, after which the lapsing of the set time is followed by an automatic shutdown of the heater
- Overheat protection – this feature is meant to keep the heater from overheating that, if left unchecked, can cause damages to the unit itself or, worse, start a fire. This protection is also enacted through automatic shut-off.
Some brands have integrated a remote control feature that allows you to adjust the temperature, customize the heater settings, or even turn off the heater to augment convenience.
Some have even raised the bar and delivered this convenience to your phone by incorporating Wi-Fi technology. You no longer have to get disrupted from your already cozy tucked-in position to go and adjust the temperature manually. A unit inclusive of this feature should be highly preferred.
It is essential that you settle for a unit that ensures serenity, whether you are working in your garage or sleeping in your room. A unit that operates with noise can be a distraction and a deterrence to that serenity you are craving for.
On this score, it is crucial that you check for the noise level rating for your unit of interest. It is recommendable to settle for a unit that has noise levels not exceeding 39dB. This way, the existence of such a heater can even go unnoticed.
For easy manipulation or handling of an infrared heater, it is important to examine how user-oriented a model of interest is. There are components, features, or designs incorporated in a tool that make it more user-friendly and include;
- Thermostat – this component is essential as it helps you to manually regulate the heater by switching between the provided heat settings. With this inbuilt component, you regulate the temperature within a given range, commonly from 45 to 95 degrees.
- Removable filter – A detachable filter will be easy to clean and replace, enabling you to experience a fresh start each time it is needed.
- Mounting hardware – bargains that support wall/ceiling mounting are excellent because of the strategic positioning of the heater. However, you should check whether the mounting hardware is included in the purchase package.
- Ease of portability – there are various attributes that can promote easy carrying and include a lightweight trait, onboard carrying handle, or a cart design. A unit with traits will be easy to ferry from one section to another where it is required.
The video below shows the installation process of the JHheatsup infrared heater in a garage
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is infrared heat good for a garage?
You would not appreciate the importance of the heaters until it is winter and you want to spend much of your time in the garage. The infrared heat is perfect for garages. The units work best in detached garages. Besides, if you have any room above your garage, it will stay warm courtesy of the infrared heaters. The infrared garage heaters directly heat objects and individuals within the garage space while ensuring that the air around maintains the set temperatures.
Q2. What size infrared heater do I need for my garage?
A 2 to 2.5 car garage will need an infrared heater of 45000 BTU. On the other hand, a 3-car garage will need a heater of 60000 BTU. Thus, when shopping for infrared heaters, consider the BTU of the heaters. A 30,000BTU heater can also be an ideal choice for a 2-car garage.
Q3. Does a natural gas garage heater need to be vented?
Yes. You must vent exhaust gasses from the burners out of the building. Even though most professionals and manufacturers recommend having a gas line connected to the installed natural gas heater for garage, installing a vent will help you save the high costs associated with the gas line connection.
The foul chilly weather in wintertime can really put the dampener on an ongoing project in your garage. This no longer has to be the occasion, as installing one of the best infrared heater for garage models is a promising solution.
Most electric infrared heaters have a wattage rating. It is important to note that wattage shows the amount of electricity required to power the unit. This means that even when two or more heaters bear a similar wattage rating, it does not necessarily mean that they transfer the same amount of warmth.
One of the most interesting features of some of the featured products ought to be the remote control feature. If you were studying or binge-watching, you do not have to physically move to adjust the temperature but rather use a remote to choose the desired temperature. Convenient, right? I hope this article on the best infrared heater for garage will be of help to you.