Genie garage door opener is famous for its practicality and operational efficiency when opening garage doors. It comprises various features like Wi-Fi connectivity, built-in LED lighting, and optional battery backup that coordinate the openers function and make it the best choice for all kinds of garages. The genie garage door opener can operate at the optimum level for about 15 years when properly maintained with regular inspections. However, at the time, it has its constraints that various factors can contribute, establishing certain common Genie Garage Door Opener Problems.
Like any digitized garage door, a genie garage door opener can encounter various unplanned circumstances that hinder its operation. Some of these problems are; when the garage door declines to open entirely and the remote-controlled keypad won’t respond. When suddenly your garage door stops functioning as it should, that’s a clear indication that it is time to check on your garage door opener to identify the problem and seek the necessary solution to remedy the situation.
According to various contractors, the cost of setting up a new garage door is between $500 to $1500; thus, regular maintenance practice and repair of your genie garage door save you a lot of money.
Common Genie Garage Door Opener Problems
The wireless keypad won’t work
Genie garage door comes with a handy and straightforward remote controller for its smooth operation. The digitized controller can be ineffective after multiple syncing and resyncing. When you can’t correctly operationalize your garage door after many attempts, you should consider reprogramming the garage door opener.
- First, access the opener; the boxed gadget affixed to your garage ceiling
- Press and hold the program set button (square-shaped button) to the point where the circuit LED light lit. The rectangular LED next to the circular LED will flash in purple, indicating you are now in programming mode.
- In the programming model, find the small circular LED and buttons labelled radio signal and learn mode.
- Set back the opener to its initial state by pushing and holding the learn button up to the point where the Radio signal starts flashing.
- Deploy your remote controller and push the unlabeled rectangular button on your remote once. Once completed, the rectangular purple LED light on the opener will flash as solid purple and stop flashing. The same button you pressed in your remote controller will close and open the garage door from now onwards.
- Press the same button and wait for the blue light to appear on the rectangular and circular LED before switching off. It will calibrate the opener to sync with your remote controller.
- Press the same button one more time to operate your Genie garage door.
You can purchase the best genie garage door opener units at amazon. click the link below to buy Genie StealthDrive Connect Model 7155-TKV Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet Strong Belt Drive Garage Door Opener one of the most exciting and sought after unit in the marketing.
Genie garage door doesn’t respond to the transmitter (remote) but the wall button
It is the most widespread problem that many genie garage door openers experience. The garage door doesn’t respond to the remote controller but instead responds when you push the switch button on the wall. The problem occurs when the pathways between the sensors are blocked when the sensor eyes are unclean or have loose electrical wires. These circumstances prevent the remote controller from operating the garage door. In some instances, the door will move to a small extent and then reverse.
- To find a solution to this problem, inspect if the eyes on the sensors are free of dirt or impurities. You can use a clean piece of cloth to tidy up the sensors.
- If the sensor eyes aren’t the problem’s source, then examine if the sensor path is aligned and properly functioning. You can use your hand to amend the sensor alignment by inspecting if both sending and receiving terminals react. If both the source (red) and sensor (green) light bulbs work perfectly, the door mechanism should operate smoothly.
- Check if one or both lights are off, and check for loose or faulty fuses, power breakers, and plugs.
- If just the source (red) light is out, consider unplugging and re-plugging the power source unit to rest the system.
- Consider replacing the garage door sensor when they are faulty or worn out.
Genie SilentMax 1200 Model 4042-TKH Garage Door Opener with Motion Detection Lighting, Ultra-Quiet Steel-Reinforced Belt Drive, 140V DC Motor, 3/4 + HPc
Genie garage door reverses before hitting the floor
The problem occurs because of a wrong open limit and a close limit setting. Make sure the switch is set on limit beyond the point in the opener motor unit at which the door closes fully. The limit is set to determine the distance the door will close or open before stopping. The problem can be solved by;
- In the case of a screw-driven or chain-driven garage door unit, you can set the limit closer to the motor unit to enable the door panels to close earlier. If your chain drive has driven limits, you can adjust them using a screwdriver. The drive limits are either on the back or side of the motor unit head.
- The adjustment screws need modification to amend the close force setting sensitivity.
- Ensure the garage door, opener and spring are in a good repair state. They are adequately lubricated, adjusted, and balanced.
Genie garage door is closing and opening by itself
A short circuit can cause the garage door to open and close by itself. The short course can be in either the transmitters (remote controller) or the wall keypad wiring. The condition arises due to temperature changes, vibration, or power surges. A short circuit located in the transmitter sends a constant signal to the garage door. When you drive away from the garage, the garage door moves beyond the down limit. It hits the header bracket and starts reversing, causing the garage door to open.
- You can begin by troubleshooting the garage door. Take away the batteries from your transmitters and instead attempt operating the garage door from the wall keypad. If the problem continues then, you can start searching for faults in other units.
- Remove the wall keypad cable at the motor unit head to ensure that a short wire does not cause it to the bottom. After disconnecting the wall keypad, try operationalizing the garage openers with a transmitter. If the problem is solved, replace the faulty wires and then test the wall button cables.
Genie 39725r Garage Door Opener With Chain, 1/2 Hpc
Genie garage door won’t respond to remote or keypad
The problem occurs regularly with the door opener unit that uses remote control. The problem can be debugged by first checking your keyless entry sensor. Ensure you are in the range of the garage and nothing is interfering with your signal. Move to a closer distance to find the coverage and position the remote controller’s antenna towards the door. Most digitized garage door openers use small radios that work at about 315 mH. The signal of the remote can be affected by even a few feet of extra distance.
- Replace the remote batteries if the wall switch keypad is working perfectly and the remote controller is not.
- If your remote control still doesn’t respond to the command after replacing the battery, then you can reprogram it. The button in the garage door remote control can lose its programming after excessive use. You can reset it and reprogram it to your desired limit.
- When the genie garage door remote controller performance is unreliable, maybe the battery loses charge, or it’s time to replace the device itself.
Genie B6172H Smart Wall Mount Garage Door Opener
Genie garage door motor runs, but the door doesn’t open
The problem can arise when you unknowingly pull the red emergency release cord from the engine that hangs down from the trolley.
- When you pull the red emergency cord, it will disconnect the garage door from the opener to enable the user to operate the garage door manually.
- Find out if the trolley is disconnected from the opener and troubleshoot the problem. You can fasten back the wires to their original places. With most models of genie garage doors, you can pull the disconnected emergency release cord back towards the opener.
Genie garage door operator’s on a disrupted power source
People sometimes switch off their garage door power source and then wonder why their garage door won’t work.
- Ensure you plug your garage door opener into a working outlet. Sometimes outlets go out without warning, so check if the outlet is working by plugging another functional electronic device into it
- Check your circuit, fuse or GFCI
Genie garage door will only run closed
- Turn off the sure lock which is also known as vacation mode, on the wall console.
- Inspect if the limits are correctly set
- Check the condition of the door, its balance, and the door springs.
- Check opening force control or the force setting
Genie garage door photo eye is blocked
Most intelligent garage doors have a photo eye that detects if a person or an object is blocking the door from lowering down. The photo-eye is placed about 4-6 inches from the ground, with an eye the size of a plea. It shoots a laser light across the length of the garage, and if interrupted, it will cut off the signal used to lower and raise the garage door.
- Examine if the cord affixed to the photo-eye is damaged or broken. Incidentally, rainstorms or water leaks can damage the photo-eye.
- Thoroughly clean the dust and dirt that clog the photo-eye blocking the laser beam with a tissue.
Noisy door operation
- Ensure all the fasteners are tight
- Make sure the garage door is in a good state of repair. It is adequately lubricated and balanced on the tacks.
The door opener runs slow
- Inspect the operating conditions of the garage door because the door may require a professional repair.
How to manually open your genie garage door
- Get a ladder
- Locate the emergency disconnect, which is the red cord on the attached mechanism to the lever. If you press, it should release the door, enabling you to move it.
- Yank the cord, and climb down the ladder
- Use both hands to lift the door; if it doesn’t move, climb back the ladder and pull the red cord again.
- Once opened, hold it up with an object to prevent it from sliding down again.
The video below describes how to fix a genie garage door that is not opening or closing
Frequently Asked Questions
Why won’t my garage door fully open?
When the garage door stops halfway shut or open, the cause of the problem might be broken springs or the limit springs that need adjustment.
What if I can’t get into my garage?
Numerous factors can cause the problem, maybe the battery died, or a spring broke, and you access the garage to determine the problem. If the garage is the only way in or out of the house, you can call a locksmith. For preventive measures, you should keep a spare key or install an emergency disconnect to the door operator to allow you to raise the door manually.
Genie garage door performs its work efficiently in any weather condition. As a garage owner, you can control your garage by using the integrated smart connect garage door opener to access your garage door remotely.
Despite its efficiency in operation, the genie garage door openers can sometimes be characterized by a number of problems that can result in inefficiencies when not correctly determined. The article has presented several problems and how to fix them. Also, you must have the manufacturer’s manual to help you troubleshoot the opener when you encounter problems.
In a case where you are not able to troubleshoot the problem. It would be ideal that you contact the professionals, especially by contacting the qualified technician to help resolve the problem for efficient and efficient operation.
Other Related Articles